So you want to be a speaker. This is how I did it...
First, interact with event planners and the media to build relationships, network and let your presence be known…get yourself out…network…market…let them know you are the expert!
Stay open to ALL the possible opportunities that are available to you…set an intention and you will find them.
Opportunities come in many different forms. Sometimes the smallest opportunity can be one of the biggest stepping stones to success! Don’t turn down an opportunity just because you feel it isn’t big enough, or isn’t really your thing.
1. Write to local & state industry associations in your target area. Nationals have a lot of competition.
2. Offer to write a monthly column in the indusrty/state associations newsletters. Getting a column gives credibility, builds brand awareness and builds relationship of sorts with the readers.
3. Optimist and Rotary both have monthly meetings and seek speakers. Can lead to other ops.
4. Co-sponsor an event with a former association or company. Charity events are excellent ways to build relationships and look for speaking ops.
5. Look for fundraisers or school functions that might need help.
6. Sponsor an "event" with a local govt leader, mayor, senator, celebrity. They do the keynote and you open and close.
7. Offer to speak at a national ____ week event. (You fill in the blank)
8. Present a targeted exec with an award for some accomplishment. Good PR possibility for papers/magazines. Do a SOFTSELL during the presentation.
9. Contribute good content to Group Forums, Bulletin Boards or Discussion Groups. This can lead to telechats and seminars.
10. Sponsorships & Prizes can get you on the stage.
There is a great article here: