Thursday, October 4, 2007

Reinvent-tage Retreat Day 4

part 2 is below this post today...you'll understand...keep reading...or scrolling...

Today's intention...practice makes perfect...

David Bayles and Ted Orland illustrate my intention for today in their book, Art and Fear. They relate a story about a beginning pottery class. The teacher divided the students into two groups. One group was told that their grade would be based on the amount of pots they produced. The second group was told that their grade would be based on their skill in creating the perfect pot.

Which group made the best pots? I will share this in part 2 this afternoon...leave your guesses and the reasoning in the comments please...


See post here for your invitation to join the Reinvent-tage Retreat...and to see how the process works...

9 comments:

Gill said...

I think I heard this one before. I guessed it wrong the first time.
The correct answer I think is to produce as many pots as you can.
You'll never make the perfect one or something like that?
xo
Blue

qualcosa di bello said...

oh no. i don't like pressure in art...i would guess that since i am not perfect ever, i would have more fun going with quantity & i just my make the "perfect-in-my-eyes" pot while having fun. & i would think i might learn so much more if, as a beginner, i just cranked 'em out than if i spent an inordinant amount of time working on that one "hopefully-perfect" pot.

actually, i just realized that what i described is how i write poetry! i just do it, a lot...without much regard to perfection. lots of times i go back & rework the words but i don't get stuck on perfect.

great thought-provoker for my morning!

Anonymous said...

If you try to make a perfect anything it will never happen. The thing is to enjoy the journey and keep making the pots and learning by mistakes.
Hope all is well!!
Constance

Darla said...

My daughter gave me this book some while ago so it would be cheating for me to answer I think.

Clever of you to start the Mermaid's Closet on a canvas that was already painted.

Darla

Pam Aries said...

Email me at pamaries52 at hotmail! WE have to get together when you com to Charleston..even if only to say Hi !!!

kari and kijsa said...

Hmmmmmm...you made us think...we would guess judging the pots based on quality? When are you posting the answer....don't leave us hanging!

kari and kijsa

Anonymous said...

if would be in the second group i would do all my best to create a perfect shaped pot. however you have to have the knowledge to do this. conclusion, practice! so i'm turning my guess to the first group. their last pots will have the better shapes!!

blessings said...

Oh, how you tease... But I think I might make better art if my grade were not based on how good it is. Blessings... POlly

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of food for thought on that one.Supple and demand, or being present to each moment.
Bloom where you are planted?