Wednesday, April 8, 2009

happy birthday mother...and daddy...

Today is my Mother's birthday...


This is my beautiful and spirited Mother in one of her musicals (circa 1945). She was a singer and a dancer. She loved music. She had a radio show for years. I used to listen as a baby with my beloved Grandmother Annie Niland. 


A tale from my childhood: When I was about three, I missed my Mother. I was precocious, to say the least. I thought if I could get her out of that radio box, she would come home. I sent Annie to the kitchen to get me some juice. While she was gone, I took the opportunity to knock the radio off the stand and break it. Annie came rushing back in and found me standing amidst the pieces of the radio. Looking up at her with wide-eyed expectancy I announced, "Mommy will come home now." She didn't come home.

me with said radio

Mother and I circa 1953

my daddy's birthday was the third..



their anniversary was the fifth...i miss you and love you both...




this is a busy month for our family...twins birthday the 12th...son in law's birthday the 15th...sister's birthday the 24th...

4 comments:

Darla said...

I just adore the story of you and the radio! Thanks for the smile this morning.

Darla

Unknown said...

I love this post
I laughed out loud as I read the radio blurp.
Beautiful pictures of your Mom and Dad.
Smiles
Lisa

Annie Jeffries said...

Funny how these things come in clusters, isn't it? From Halloween through New years life and the budget just went to heck in a handbasket in our household. If there was a birthday, anniversary, holiday, etc etc, it landed between Oct. 31st and Jan. 31st. We would spend the next six months recovering. LOL

Teresa aka Tess said...

April is th same in my family. Lots of b-days. Mine was the 7th, my sisters is the 11th. One Aunts is the 21st and another ones is the 24th. Oh and a niece is having a b-day this month too. Hmm! what day is that one. I must go look. I loved the photos of your parents and cute little you. Thanks for sharing.