Sunday, April 29, 2007

At Prayer in the Flow of Creation

Some of you have asked about my process for creation of the Muses. I draw with graphite on heavy watercolor paper. Lots of texture. I then scan into PhotoShop CS2 and layer with a background I have painted. Here are the original sketch and the CCA- Computer Created Art.


At Prayer Muse is very spiritual and centered. She is called upon to bring me to my center prayerfully. As most of you know I consider all art is prayer. Music, dance, visual art, writing, poetry, graphic design, etc. - all is prayer to me. I also feel that when I am lost in the flow, I am closest to God and absolutely in the moment, fully present in my life and in the universe. This is a deeply blessed time and my best work usually comes from these periods.

What is creative flow? Wikipedia defines creative flow as, ‘the mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing, characterized by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. A Zen-like state of total oneness with the activity.." You have at some time become so completely absorbed in a task that the world fades away, time flies, and your creativity flows freely. You experienced that magical, mystical space known as flow!! Ahhhhhhhh....

So, how do you get in the flow state where consciousness ceases to be and true art is happening?

Today's aMUSEment - I have a way to initiate and sustain creative periods because I have paid attention to the times they occured. Here is my process:
  1. Set an intention - I am going to (write a short story, finish a
    painting, learn a dance) today.
  2. Make an environment conducive to creativity. Soft music, a whirling fan, deep breathing, slow rhythmic movement, all work for me.
  3. Make sure that you are not interrupted or distracted. Turn off phone, put a Do Not Disturb sign on door, wear earphones or earplugs.
  4. Have all tools and materials ready and know how to use
    them.
  5. Resolve to let go of self-judgement. Don't be afraid to fail.
  6. Play. Play. Play.
  7. Practice. Prctice. Prctice. The most important step!

Thank God when you realize you have been there.

A good article on flow is Mark McGuinness' Poetry in Practice: Creative Flow

U BE Creative Today!

No comments: